Today marks the release of the iPhone OS 3.0 Software Update. As most people already know, iPhone users get it for free while we iPod Touch users are forced to pay for it. I find this extremely unfair, and I refuse to support such nonsense. Besides, the iPod Touch costs more than the iPhone anyway.
No one should be forced to pay $10 for something iPhone users get for free. So I present these download links for the iPod Touch 2G and the original iPod Touch.
iPod Touch 2G: http://justindaigle.com/files/iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
iPod Touch 1G: http://justindaigle.com/files/iPod1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
How to use:
1. Download the IPSW file to your computer by copying the link above (that corresponds to your iPod Touch model) into your browser’s address bar.
2. Open iTunes and connect your iPod Touch to your computer.
3. Shift+click (Or Ctrl+Click, I forget which, and I think it’s different between Mac and PC) either the update or restore button, depending on whether you want to do an update or a clean install. You should now see a window asking you to browse for a firmware file. Select and open the one you downloaded.
4. Wait for the update/restore to complete.
5. Enjoy your new 3.0 firmware!
Please don’t let Apple trick you into buying this update. Even if you have the money for it. What they are doing is wrong, and we must show them we won’t let them rip us iPod Touch users off like this.
Edit: iPod Touch 1G link up.
Edit (again): Seems Apple has pulled the links. I will personally host the IPSW files to make sure this doesn’t happen again. I had the 2G one up already in case this should happen, and I’m in the process of getting the 1G file and will have it up by midnight, Central time. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Edit again (again): iPod Touch 1G link up again. Sorry it’s so late. I got caught up with a bunch of crap.